Dry, flaky skin can be caused by a number of causes, and many of us are currently experiencing dry skin due to this cold, seemingly never-ending winter. A barrier of natural lipids forms the outer surface of the skin, keeping moisture in and irritants out. This barrier can be damaged or compromised due to cold, wintry air, chemical agents we use to color our hair and skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis, or simple dehydration. When this lipid barrier is damaged, essential moisture can escape the skin, causing the cracking, flaking symptoms of dry skin.
There are many things that can contribute to or exacerbate dry skin. They include:
• Over-aggressive exfoliation: many people try to scrub off dull, flaky skin. STOP! This can have the opposite effect by irritating the skin and inflaming it further.
• Alcohol-based products: alcohol is found in hand sanitizers and many other oil or acne controlling products. Alcohol is extremely drying, and dehydrates already dry skin further.
• Hot water showers or baths: hot water strips the skin of its natural oil barrier, and taking long, hot showers will only make dry skin worse.
• Using the wrong moisturizer: very lightweight formulas may be just fine for the spring or summer, but a more moisturizing formula helps protect the skin better during the winter months. On the other hand, creams or lotions that contain mineral oil or petroleum can clog the pores of the skin.
Fortunately, there are simple fixes that you can adopt to relieve dry, itchy skin.
• Using a gentle, sulfate-free cleanser developed by the Dr. Marder’s Total Relief line will hydrate ,moisturize,repair and soothe the skin, rather than stripping it of protective oils.
• After cleansing, tone and moisturize within 60 seconds to prevent the air from robbing the skin of moisture. Make sure that your toner is not a drying one with alcohol in it! Look for moisturizers with hydrating ingredients, such as hyaluronic acid.
Dry skin is not just a winter ailment, and it is important to remember to continue to take care of our skin as we look forward to spring. Dr. Marder’s Total Relief line provides clinically proven effective ,safe and gentle year-round care to prevent and soothe dry, flaking skin, regardless of its causes.
Share this post